Saturday, August 3, 2013

Belgium: Land of the Frites and Home of the Beer!

     Okay, we probably need to get something straight: if you haven't been to Belgium yet, you're a sucker. Belgium is legit. If you don't even know where it is, google that shit and memorize it. Then go there.
    

As a Canadian, I'm not used to being able to sit in a park and drink a beer in the shade (legally), so to be able to do that with some of the best beer in the world was awesome. Also it was cheap.

So yeah, I cheated and had literally everything I shoudn't eat (in excess) the entire time I was in Brussels, but I couldn't help myself! Haha~ You understand.

I did, however, learn about some great gluten and dairy free foods while I was there. One of them is probably the coolest snack ever. So delicious, salty, sweet, colourful, and easy to prepare. It's beautiful. It's tuna and peaches. You read that right. If you don't believe me I'll type it again: tuna and peaches. Tuna and peaches.  I mean, look at that picture. Glorious. It's such a cheap, easy and healthy dish, too. I think I am maybe not stressing enough about how fucking great this food is.















 Another awesome thing I learned about is Americain (pronounced like "American" with a very French accent). It's a great sandwich spread and I absolutely adore it. The thing that makes Americain hardcore is that it's raw~ GUYS! It's like sushi for your sandwich! How exciting is that? It's basically steak tartare for Belgian people. Actually from what I gathered on the ingredients label (because my French skills are somewhat lacking) is that you go to make a mixture between potato salad and tartar sauce, but instead of adding mayo or potatoes, you just add meat. Raw. Sounds so easy to make, but also easy to get sick. I better be careful when I make it... and free for a few days after, just in case.

I also learned how to make Onion Pie, but I'm gonna fiddle with that recipe to make it gluten and dairy free first, but like, to give you an idea of how great it is: caramelized onions, bacon, cheese.

I did other things besides eating in Belgium, but to be fair I did A LOT of it, like most of the time we went hunting for more food. Belgian chocolate, fries, waffles, some awesome kind of donut you can buy at the fair. All of them were so good it was unreal. Umm... but yes, confession time: I didn't actually eat moules (mussels) while I was there, I guess I just never got around to it. I don't like mussels that much normally, so I guess I kept putting it off until it was too late. Oops. Don't judge me. There's only so much a girl can eat in 5 days.
Belgium was awesome. I had a lot of fun.

Tuna and Peaches Recipe
What you need:
  • Can of peaches is what is normally used, but I'm gonna try fresh ones because it's summer and I can do that. But if you use a fresh peach, maybe sprinkle some sugar over top of it.
  • Can of tuna
  • Mayo
  • Salt and pepper
Mix the mayo, salt, pepper and tuna. Take your peaches out of the can. Scoop tuna mix onto a peach. Eat. I'm going to try it out with some brunoise (a cutting term for a really really tiny dice) red onions and see how that goes.

Stay tuned for a marvellous chicken soup recipe and a tutorial on how to cut onions.

Later days,
Brittney

No comments:

Post a Comment