Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Sometimes I skip dinner and just eat dessert.

Well guys, my aunt brought to my attention that I haven't really brought up my dietary restrictions. I can't have wheat or gluten, dairy, corn (probably just the by-products, but I haven't tested that yet), potatoes and yeast (but I mostly ignore that). It's a lot, I know. That's just a heads up, because most of the recipes I post will be free of all that. But, if you're wanting to see a recipe cater to your specific restriction, just hit me up and I'll see what I can do~

Okay, I've been cooking a lot lately. It's picture sharing time! Excite!!

Peanut butter and banana french toast sandwhich on gluten free bread~
























Lamb with a gremolata about to go in the oven.



















Finished lamb with a samosa-style twice baked yam.
























Hasselback potatoes (and a yam for me and my aunt).
























Yay!! I make things taste good~ But the recipe I'm going to share with you today is one I just made up on the spot. I needed to use some rhubarb I picked yesterday, and some strawbs that were nearing the end in the fridge. I was the strawberry hero.

And guess what! I measured things for you, because I love you so much. Just kidding, I on;t half measured them. Because I half love you so much? I tried, anyways. So here, take it:

Shortbread crust:
  • 1c gluten free flour
  • 1/2c sugar
  • 1c butter or something dairy free. I used vegan margarine (boooooo, use butter if you can).
Filling:
  •  2c rhubarb chopped up
  • 2c strawbs
  • 1/2c brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper (seriously, try it. Go on.)
Crumble topping:
  •  2 or 3 healthy spoonfuls of butter (or like, you know, whatever)
  • 3 nice big handfuls of slow cook oats (because gluten free oats take their time)
  • Some brown sug
HERE'S HOW TO PUT IT TOGETHER

Do yourself a favour and preheat that oven. 350. Mix your shortbread things up, and in a greased pan throw that in the bottom, like this:


















Put some fork holes in that shit and bake it for about 10 mins.

While that bakes, you can mix your other shit in separate bowls.



Bowl 1
Bowl 2














Take your shortbread crust out, let it cool for 10 mins if you want. I'm impatient, so I really didn't. Then put the filling on the shortbread, and crumble your crumble on top~

 Put it back in for like... 25 minutes? My aunt has a convection oven, so it doesn't take as long for anything, but 25 should be fine.

This is what I got in the end:


  

And I have to say that this is stupid good. YUM!!! I'm eating it right now. Let me know if you add your own spin on it~

Later days, 

Brittney

 


1 comment:

  1. Poke some fork holes in that shit and bake it for about 10 mins. I read that in your voice and laughed my ass off. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete